Monday, June 4, 2012

I'm Going Hungry


Now that I’m on teaching hiatus, the Jersey Girl is actually available at normal people din din time.

From September through May, my baby momma day goes like this: Wakeup and entertain Baby Evan until my workday kicks off at 2 p.m. (when the bambino gets dropped off at his baby-sitting destination for the evening) and usually goes until 8:30 p.m., at which time Baby Evan wants his Momma and he wants his Momma NOW, along with a sippy of milk, a bowl of cookies and some vroom-vrooms (cars) or a ball. Then it’s off for teeth-brushing, diaper-changing, book reading (A minimum of three. Evan is very literary.) and nanni time aka baby’s bootie is in the crib with Mr. Teddy while Mozart and a humidifier lull him to sleep.

Then, and only then, does the Jersey Girl get to chow down. But, if we’re being honest here, I’m most likely washing up some yuckiness, putting away toys or getting in my happy clothes first. 

OCD totally trumps hunger.

And then, more often than not, exhaustion beats out the actual act of putting food into the mouth.

Needless to say, (and please do not throw tomatoes at me. I mean, who wants to waste a perfectly good piece of produce on a pathetically occasional blogger?) my weight currently is close to nothing. Honestly. I don’t think I’ve ever been at this weight ever. Well, except for the few years I was a shoe sales gal by day at Macy’s and a bleary-eyed newspaper copy editor/page designer by night. Working 18 hours a day, while not recommended, will completely help you shed some lbs. It will also drive you insane.

The positive I’m extracting from my uber skinny girliness: Instant excuse to go shopping.

Yay!

And I get to groove on some Oven Fries from “Tyler’s Ultimate.”  The potato wedges are baked until crisp and golden, then they are topped with parmigiano-reggiano cheese and parsley. Total yum yums. And I SO don’t feel guilty. (Oh, who am I kidding? The Jersey Girl NEVER experiences guilty “what have I dones?” when it comes to the foods I eat. What’s the point?)

In addition, a pancetta-sauced chicken is decadently amazing. Lemon juice and red wine vinegar give the sauce a tangy punch, while fresh parsley adds a burst of color. Love it. The recipe is a part of Giada De Laurentiis’ Chicken and Shrimp Pancetta Chimichurri recipe. I did not cook the shrimp on the night I made the dish, but I am providing you the full recipe for both chicken and shrimp. I served the chicken and potatoes with some sauteed spinach. 




Chicken and Shrimp Pancetta Chimichurri
From "Giada at Home"
By Giada De Laurentiis

For Chicken and Shrimp:
6 (6-ounce) boneless and skinless chicken breast halves
1 pound jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 tablespoons dried oregano
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Olive oil, for drizzling

For Chimichurri:
2 tablespoons olive oil
8 ounces pancetta, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
3 cloves garlic
1 cup packed fresh parsley 
1/2 cup fresh oregano leaves or 2 tablespoons dried
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons lemon juice
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Preheat a grill pan or preheat a gas or charcoal grill.

Season the chicken and shrimp with the dried oregano, salt and pepper. Drizzle with olive oil. Grill the chicken for 5 to 6 minutes each side until cooked through. Grill the shrimp for 1 to 2 minutes on each side until pink and cooked through.

In a small skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the pancetta and cook, stirring constantly until browned, about 6 to 8 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Set aside.

In the bowl of a food processor, combine the garlic, parsley, oregano, vinegar, olive oil and lemon juice. Pulse until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

Slice the chicken diagonally and arrange on a large serving platter with the shrimp. Drizzle with the chimichurri and sprinkle with the pancetta.


Oven Fries
From “Tyler’s Ultimate”
By Tyler Florence

2 russet potatoes cut in 1/2 lengthwise, halves cut lengthwise into fourths to make 16 big, fat wedges
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Salt
2 tablespoons chopped parsley leaves
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

Preheat a baking sheet in the hot oven for at least 5 minutes.

While the baking sheet is heating, toss the potatoes with the olive oil and 3/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. 

Then dump the potatoes out onto a baking sheet, spreading to a single layer. Roast for 30 to 35 minutes, shaking the pan every now and then, until the potatoes are cooked through, brown and crispy. Toss the fries in a big bowl with the parsley and cheese.

2 comments:

  1. i am glad to see you posting more often,because i love the recipes you pick!


    ina-wonderland.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to see you. Babyland is tiring, but still blissful.

    Skinny. Lucky. Don't you worry. I'm eating for you & me. lol

    ReplyDelete