Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Spinach Lentil Soup

If you are trying to feel svelte post Super Bowl he-man fat-filled food, give this Lentil Spinach Soup a try.

It's totally vegetarian. It's packed with many veggies and you can freeze half of it when your husband and son refuse to eat any.

I found the recipe on Pinterest. I added chopped celery because I felt like it. And I used one gigantic carrot instead of three carrots as listed.

Also, I wholeheartedly support topping a bowl of this deliciousness with some feta because when I detox I don't REALLY detox. Wine and cheese are pretty much always a part of my day. If that's wrong I don't want to be right. Feta is seriously good on top. For reals.

The colors of this soup are just so pretty. It is sure to brighten up any day.

Enjoy!


Lentil Spinach Soup

By The Garden Grazer
Serves 6-8

1 onion
3 carrots
4-5 cloves garlic
2 cups dry lentils (green or brown)
15 oz. can diced tomatoes (or fresh)
4 cups vegetable broth
3 cups water
4-5 oz. spinach
1 1/2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. smoked paprika
1/4 tsp. salt, more to taste
Optional: potato is great in this too!

Directions
Dice onion and carrot.
In a large stockpot over medium heat, saute onion and carrot for about 7 minutes.
Meanwhile, mince garlic and rinse lentils.
Add garlic, cumin, paprika, and salt to stockpot. Saute 1 minute.
Add broth, water, tomatoes, and lentils.
Increase heat and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 30 minutes or until lentils are tender.
Meanwhile, roughly chop spinach.
Add spinach during last couple minutes of cooking.
Salt to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment