Sunday, October 28, 2018

Crockpot Chicken Cheesesteaks

So I know the whole InstaPot thing is the hotness, but the only plug-in cooking vessel I use is a crockpot. And even that thing only sees the light of day maybe six times per year.

I look at my crockpot as a bit of a means of cheating to cook. I also say to myself when lugging it up from the confines of my basement kitchen gadget auxiliary, "Wow, is this what it has come to?" But alas, sometimes even the most Nigella Lawson/Lidia Bastianich/Ina Garten obsessed gals need to take a shortcut now again. Truth, the crockpot is very useful when you are having a frantic day/night/week and you just need to chop up a few things, open a can, place ingredients on top of each other and call it a day.

Such is the case with this recipe for Crockpot Chicken Cheesesteak Sandwiches from Life in the Lofthouse. I discovered it on Pinterest. I have made the dish three times, so I would declare it a success. I would also declare quite firmly that the final product is NOTHING like a for reals Philly chicken cheesesteak, but the dish does make for a great dinner. I served it on hoagie rolls with provolone cheese. Voila!





This is a good one to make if your family is coming and going and needs to eat in between activities.

Crockpot Chicken Cheesesteak Sandwiches
From Life in the Lofthouse
Yields 4 to 6 sandwiches

2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 medium yellow onion, sliced into thin strips
1 green bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
1/2 cup chicken broth (Please note: The Jersey Girl used an entire can of chicken broth)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
3 Tablespoons steak sauce (I used Heinz 57)
6 hoagie buns

Spray inside of crock pot with non-stick spray. 



Lay the onion and bell pepper slices in the bottom of crock pot. Pour chicken broth over the veggies. Lay chicken breasts over the top of vegetables. 




Sprinkle salt, pepper, garlic powder and steak sauce over the chicken.

Cover with lid and cook on low heat for 6 to 7 hours OR on high heat for 3 to 4 hours (or until chicken is tender and cooked through)

Carefully remove chicken from crock pot and shred with two forks. 




Return to crock pot and stir to combine the shredded chicken and veggies. (There will be liquid in the crock pot but I leave it in to keep the chicken moist)

Using a slotted spoon scoop up chicken mixture and place inside hoagie buns. Top with desired sliced cheese, such as provolone.



No comments:

Post a Comment