Sunday, October 18, 2009

A Very Girly Dinner




Let’s talk quiche.
I made one the other night. I thought Husband would not be down with this, but he housed it, actually - and declared it super delish.

Well, maybe I’m paraphrasing, but he really loved it.

So, I totally cheated with the crust. Yes, I’m hanging my head in shame.

Actually, I’m not.

I make a killer pie crust, but I made said quiche in the middle of the workweek and I was kind of strapped for time.

So, Pillsbury it is.

I will give you my tips on piecrust making the next time I whip one up. It’s about time for a pumpkin pie, isn’t it? Key lime is my specialty, truth be told.

Anywho, quiche always makes me think of the French peoples. Although, when Mark and I visited Paris over the spring, I never once ordered quiche. I always envisioned that I would, but there were so many better things to eat in Paris that I’ve never made such as amazing lobster salad and flaky chocolate croissants.

OMG, take me back now, Husband.

Quiche also makes me think of very girly things: Showers, sorority rush events, demonstrations at your neighbor’s house – also known as events attended by chatty women where hopefully alcohol is served, but odds are quiche is on the menu.

Quiche is great to make when you have odds and ends of various ingredients that you want to use up. You know, those items in your fridge that you used one time and you know you’re gonna have to toss them if you don’t act fast. My items that needed to be cooked on this day were: scallions, pancetta and gruyere cheese. The trifecta worked perfectly for my rockin’ quiche. I served a salad with it.

Pancetta and Gruyere and Scallion Quiche

1 unbaked pie crust pastry
4-6 slices of pancetta, diced
½ small white onion, diced
½ Tbsp. olive oil
3 Tbsp. chopped scallion
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
¾ cup whole milk
¾ cup cream
4 eggs, beaten
1 cup Gruyere cheese, grated
¼ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
A pinch of salt (pancetta is salty. You don’t need a lot) and lots of black pepper


In a pan, heat up olive oil over medium heat. Saute pancetta and onion until pancetta is crispy. Remove pancetta and onion from pan and drain on paper towels. Set aside

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Line a 9-inch pie plate with pastry. Crimp the edge. Do not prick the pastry. Line with two sheets of foil. Bake for 8 minutes. Remove pie plate from oven and remove the foil. Bake for 4 to 5 more minutes. Pastry should appear set and dry.

Lower oven to 325 degrees immediately.

In a large bowl, whisk together, milk, cream, eggs. Stir into egg mixture: scallion, parsley, cheeses, reserved pancetta and onion, salt and pepper.

Once the pie crust comes out of the oven, pour egg mixture carefully into the pie crust. The crust should be warm. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes. If you insert a knife into the middle of the quiche, it should come out clean. That’s how you know it is cooked.

Let the quiche set for 10 minutes before serving.

If you make this dish ahead, you can reheat the quiche uncovered for 10 to 15 minutes in a 325 degree oven.

We enjoyed our quiche with a delish salad and refreshing wine.

1 comment:

  1. I love quiche. I always forget how easy it is to make, too. I make a crab and cheese version for Easter every year.

    ReplyDelete