Friday, December 18, 2009

Blue Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms



So blogging this time of year is tres difficult with all the holiday duties that go with being the lady of the house.


Plus, everyday is like a total battle with my evil Christmas lights, which seem to go out randomly despite being brand, spankin’ new. In the battle of twinkly lights vs. Susan, the twinkly lights win. But I am so that person who needs to switch burnt-out Christmas lights despite hailing wind and rain and freakin’ coldness. I totally think I’m OCD.

So, I’ve been posting like once a week.

Yes, I am the world’s lamest blogger.

Hee.

Last week was the rockin’ Hammonton Christmas Parade.

My familia has an annual party on this festive night, since the parade totally crosses paths with my parents’ hood.

To get the party started, I made my mom’s Blue Cheese Stuffed Shrooms. Mark and I also bestowed upon the fam the world’s best cannolis from Isgro’s. (See previous post.)

Blue cheese is so retro to me. It holds a place in my heart with iceburg lettuce, Jell-O molds and deviled eggs. I just get that old-school vibe from anything with blue cheese.
The shrooms were a trial run for Christmas Eve, during which we have the Seven Fishes. Or in the case of my family, 700 Fishes. We thought, that perhaps, it would be good move to have a non-seafood-like app.

The Blue Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms totally win out.

Blue Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms
From the “Great American Brand Name Cookbook”

2 pounds medium mushrooms
6 Tbsp. margarine
1 8-ounce package cream cheese, at room temperature
½ cup crumbled blue cheese
2 Tbsp. chopped onion

Remove mushroom stems. Chop enough stems to measure ½ cup. Cook half the mushroom caps in three Tbsp. margarine over medium heat for five minutes. Drain on a plate lined with paper towels. Repeat with remaining mushrooms and margarine. Combine blue cheese and cream cheese, mixing until well blended. Stir in chopped stems and onions. Fill mushroom caps. Place on cookie sheet. Broil until golden brown.


Please note: The Jersey Girl cooks the mushrooms in 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, not 3 Tbsp. margarine as the recipe calls for.

3 comments:

  1. Susan,
    Your stuffed mushrooms looks so good! Have you ever watched Julie & Julia? it's all about good food.
    I love your blog, beautiful dishes, the only problem when I come here, is that I get so hungry!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I totally saw the film this summer when it came out. Love me some Julia. Thank you for checking out my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. okay i love cheese and i love mushrooms so i am totally drooling at my computer right now! lol. i can't wait to try this recipe. thanks!

    ReplyDelete