Thursday, January 28, 2010

Man Up

For those of you who know me solely based on the Internets and not in real life, this may be a shock to your system:

I loathe football.

Yes, it’s true.

And yet, there’s this little event coming up called the Super Bowl, during which America has a national holiday that revolves all around football. Man food is served and all the manly men beat their hairy, pumped-up chests and there’s testosterone-filled hootin’ and hollerin’ all in the spirit of a macho American sport.

Gah.

If only shops were open during the telecast so that I could go purchase unnecessary shoes.

As a side note, I do LOVE America more than anyplace in the entire land. You don’t need to call the Department of Homeland Security on me.

Last year, The Husband and moi moseyed on over to the home of our friends, Vincenzo and Wendy. They had a mac daddy Super Bowl soiree.

I was into it for the opportunity to hang with friends, cook for said friends, watch “The Office” epi that aired AFTER the Super Bowl and to see the Boss do the half-time show.

This year, however, the Super Bowl lacks any allure for me.

I mean, seriously. The Who?

When I think of The Who, I have awful flashbacks of the summer when my Mom and other moms took me and my sister Monica and a bunch of South Jersey kids and foreign exchange students who were staying in South Jersey to see “The Who’s Tommy” on Broadway. The show deals with catatonic states and pinball playing and violence and child molestation.

It was like the longest 2 ½ hours of my life.

I mean the music is fab, but the subject matter was way trippy and dark and disturbing.

That show put me and Monica both in a catatonic state.

I’m sure The Who will rock out during the half-time gig, but I’m not dying to see it.

Now, if the performer was Bon Jovi – that’s a WHOLE other story.

(OMG. Bon Jovi music would make an AWESOME Broadway musical. Johnny and Gina could be the stars. I totally just had an epiphary….. If only I was a Broadway producer.)

So at the start of football season, I read in the Philadelphia Inquirer that Bon Jovi was being considered to do the half-time show for this Super Bowl.

The Husband is convinced this speculation is a figment of my vivid imagination. But, I just Googled it, Dear Husband, and there are many reports reporting what I’m reporting.

I’m NOT crazy!

Maybe in 2011, JBJ will get the stage. Because The Husband is convinced that the Super Bowl suits will only give the half-time gig to old white man rocker bands since the Justin Timberlake-Janet Jackson wardrobe malfunction. And, you may be judging me right now for LURVIN Bon Jovi. But judginess never got in the way of my feelings about anything. So, whatevs. Bon Jovi is AMAZING in concert. I know my Jersey boys would be fab as a half-time show.

Anywho, in the spirit of football, I bring to you a man food recipe: Retro Rockin’ Potato Skins.




I say “Retro” because potato skins seem like such a throwback to the 90s. Like, potato skins are so 1994 in TGIF’s while you and your friends discuss “MTV Unplugged” or R.E.M or the newest CD you bought at Tower Records after watching "Pulp Fiction" or "Reservoir Dogs" for the millionth time. And “Rockin” is in there because, duh, they ROCK.

The Husband said while eating them last night that the skins are “very, very good and they taste lighter than when you order them at a bar.”

Super yay!

Man food is so bad for you. OMG. But, I suppose on Super Bowl Sunday you’re supposed to wash away these thoughts with American beer, shots, Coca-Cola and more nachos.

I will be stalking shoes on the Internets.

Retro Rockin Potato Skins
(Makes 10)

5 russet potatoes, washed
¼ pound bacon or pancetta, chopped
6-8 scallions, chopped
1 cup shredded cheese such as cheddar
½ cup sour cream
1 Tbsp. hot sauce
Pinch of salt

Black pepper to taste

Prick holes all over your potatoes. Place on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave on high for 12-15 minutes.

Let cool for 10 minutes. Slice in half. Let cool for another 10 minutes. Once cool enough to handle, carefully scoop out as much potato as you can. Place in medium-sized bowl.

Meanwhile, brown your bacon in a medium-skilled over medium-high heat. This takes about 6 to 10 minutes, depending on how crispy you want the bacon. Once cooked, drain on a paper-towel lined plate. Cool for about 5 minutes.

In the bowl with the potato insides, add all the other ingredients, including the bacon once it’s cooled. Mix well. Taste for seasoning.

Carefully scoop filling into each potato skin. Line up potato skins on a baking dish.

Preheat broiler to high.

Place potato skins under broiler for about 5 minutes or until the top is browned to your liking.

Note: You may set up the potato skins ahead of time, and just broil when your party gets started.

2 comments:

  1. Just enjoy the food during the Big Game and forget the game itself. That's what Lisa usually does. ;) - John

    ReplyDelete