Monday, April 5, 2010

Are You There God? It’s Me, Susan.

I must have pissed off some peeps in charge up in the heavens.

Because when the kitchen sink backs up two hours before 20 hungry family members are booked to appear at your casa for Easter brunch, you’re kind of screwed.

And that, dear readers, is totally what happened to the Jersey Girl yesterday.

OMG. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome times.

(I seriously hope you are detecting my sarcasm.)

And it wasn’t just the simple sink backup that some good old Liquid Plumber or Draino can put a fix on.

No sir.

This was major.

Or mega.

Or really bad, actually.

Yes, a plumber needed to be called despite the valiant efforts of The Husband, Dad, Uncle Frank and the Father-in-Law. This A-Team could not get it done. But, they do get props for major effort.

So it’s Monday past 2 p.m., and I’m still waiting for the Professional Mr. Fix It to get his bootie here. He may not get here until tomorrow morning.

Have I mentioned how I’m so great at waiting?

No, that’s a bold-face lie.

And there’s still a pile of dishes that need to be washed. And a dishwasher packed to the gills that can not be turned on.

This situation is making me stabby. But, I’m taking cleansing breaths and wondering what I am to learn from this test of my willpower.

Anyone? Bueller?

On a brighter note, my Easter party rocked. Everybody had a grand time. Fun was had by all. And, nobody knew of my inner angst over my water situation.

Of course, my always-looking-on-the-bright-side family noted this could have been worse: The toilets could have been out of commission.

And really, that’s a total buzz kill.

Anyways, as part of the Easter tradition, the Jersey Girl rocked out my world-famous Ricotta Cookies.




Aren't they pretty? My niece Mia will only eat the pink ones, even though I tried explaining that they all taste the same. I suppose 2-year-olds don't quite get that.

 I am called upon to make these, oh say, a bazillion times a year. These make an appearance at most holidays and religious events.

The recipe is from my Mom’s way vintage Woman’s Civic Club of Hammonton Cookbook.

They’re kind of high-maintenance as far as cookies are concerned because you have to frost them and sprinkle them with pretty sugars. It’s good to have a partner in crime to assist you. Back in the day, Monica would help a sista out with this task.

So have at it.

P.S. – this recipe makes about 70 or so cookies. So, make them for a BIG crowd.



Ricotta Cookies
Rose Marie Ebert
From the “Woman’s Civic Club of Hammonton Cookbook”

½ lb. butter
1 lb. ricotta cheese
1 ¾ cup sugar
2 eggs
4 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. vanilla
1 ½ cups confectioner’s sugar
3 to 4 Tbsp. milk

Cream butter, add sugar and eggs one at a time and beat well. Add cheese and vanilla. Beat one minute. Sift dry ingredients and add to mixture. Drop one teaspoon batter onto cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes.

Combine confectioner’s sugar and milk and dip cookies, let drip into bowl. Place on waxed paper to cool. If decoration is desired, after dipping cookies into icing, dip into colored sugar jimmies.

Please Note: The Jersey Girl uses Imperial brand margarine instead of butter and extra large eggs. Make sure your butter/margarine, eggs and ricotta are room temperature. In addition, The Jersey Girl uses a spoon to spread the icing on the cookies, rather than dipping them.

3 comments:

  1. God only gives you what you can handle -and sometimes you might wish that God didn't have so much confidence in you.

    Awesome cookies, though. - John

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh no :( sorry to hear about your troubles on easter! i hope you had a good holiday besides that.

    my mom and i make all of the cookies for christmas.. we actually make 20 different types! the ricotta cookies are my FAVORITES though.. we never have glazed them but i have to give your recipe a try. our recipe is also from one of those women's clubs cookbooks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good advice, John.

    20 types of cookies for Christmas is no joke, FashionCourt. That's some dedication.

    ReplyDelete