Sunday, April 4, 2010

Come on Get Happy

Have you guys been watching “Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution?”


OMG.

That show is made of awesome.

It airs on Friday nights on ABC. But the network is also running full episodes on its Web site.

The premise of the show is that British celebrity chef Jamie Oliver swoops into like the fattest, most obese town ever and tries to help the people come on get healthy. French fries count as a veg in the schools, and pizza is served for breakfast with a side of processed-crap cereal with strawberry-flavored milk.

Um. OK.

And, we wonder why we’re a country of fat asses.

Three epis have aired so far, and based on what we’ve seen, Jamie isn’t exactly being welcomed with open arms.

But, I love him.

I wish he did this show in H’town. He could hang out at my house and we could cook crazy things together and speak British. Woo-hoo!

Seriously, my fav part of the show is when Jamie goes around town dropping his Brit speak to the West Virginians: “Give it a go, love.” “Right. This is ghastly.” “Bollocks.”

I hope he doesn’t think that all us dumb Americans are so closed minded, and I do hope his efforts help some people. But, my cynical self isn’t so sure his experiment will work.

The show is also giving me horrid flashbacks to school lunch. Eek!! But, at least they let us use a fork and knife in Hammonton. Apparently, the elementary school students on this program can not be expected to use eating utensils.

OK. Terrific.

Anyway, I hope my fabtastic readers will check out the program.

And, I’m giving you today a total healthnut salad featuring edamame, or young soybeans.

My Moms tried to pronounce the word, “edamame” upon me serving her my salad.

It was an epic fail.

But, my open-minded good-taste mother loved the concoction. She ate a whole boatload of it.

Score for Susan.

I used a bag of frozen soybeans that my ShopRite happened to carry. Soybeans may be tough for you to find. I’m pretty confident you can swap them out for your fav legume.

If you aren’t familiar with soybeans, they kinda look like lima beans and Japanese restaurants often serve them as a starter.

When purchasing them, the package may read “soybeans” or “edamame.”

The salad is very light and refreshing. It would totally rock at a BBQ or with grilled fish. Somethin’ like that.



Suzie’s Edamame Salad
(Makes 6 to 8 servings)

1 bag frozen edamame, shelled (10-ounces)
1 red pepper, chopped
5 scallions, chopped
½ cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
Juice from 1 lemon
2 Tbsp. rice vinegar
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 clove garlic, minced
Salt and pepper to taste

Cook edamame in a boiling pot of water, according to package directions. Drain in a colander and rinse under cold water.

Combine edamame, red pepper, scallions and parsley in a large bowl.

In another bowl, combine all other ingredients. Whisk together. Toss with vegetables. Serve

No comments:

Post a Comment