Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Where Have You Been All My Life?

So peeps. I’ve been the WORST blogger ever this month. This comes fresh on the heels of my April 6th Birthday Resolution to Blog at Least Three Times a Week.

Yes. I make birthday resolutions. Well, I call them goals. A glimpse into past goals that have been successfully attained include: Organize the handbag; Be nicer to Mom; Be nicer to Husband; Exercise more; Read more books; Stop worrying. Well, I guess I can call BS on the last one, but whatevs.

Anyway, April is not cracking up to be what it was supposed to be in terms of blogging. There are many reasons, but the one I can tell all y’all about right now is that the Jersey Girl has been way under the weather.

As in so sick, I actually took a sick day.

Yes, I canceled my kiddies’ piano lessons for the entire day last Sunday.

It killed me.

It wounded my soul. I worried about my students all day while sniffling and sneezing and gasping for air.

But, I was under strict orders from The Husband and The Mom and The Dad and The Sistas and The Inlaws and The Aunts, Uncles, Grandparents.

Really, the whole fam was involved.

I didn’t really know what to do with myself. So, I took to the couch with Suduko in hand and watched some trash TV: “Kimora” and “Jerseylicious.”

And, I slept for a bazillion hours or so.

So what ails me?

First off, I got a cold. No biggie, right?

Except well, this mother of a cold triggered massive asthma conditions that seriously kicked my bootie. And it came in the midst of spring allergy season, my most fav time of year. (Cough. Cough. Sarcasm.)

I’m still taking meds for this mess, and it’s been almost two weeks.

You sure do appreciate the ability to breathe when it becomes so difficult.

Anyway, hopefully the worst is over. And hopefully, I won’t have to spend so many hours in doctors’ offices this week, so more blogging for me and you.

Yay!

And, I should point out that my health situation sort of put of a damper on the appetite. But when I was feeling hungry, I made this:



This dish is called Orzo with Sausage, Peppers and Tomatoes. It’s by my girl Giada and it’s from her cookbook “Giada’s Kitchen.” This was the first time I ever made it. Love. I had a boatload of sausage left over, because in my parts you really can’t buy less than a pound of sausage at one time. So, I cooked the extra links and The Husband had them for lunch one day.

Orzo with Sausage, Peppers and Tomatoes
From “Giada’s Kitchen”
By Giada De Laurentiis

Makes 4 to 6 servings

3 cups chicken broth
1 pound orzo pasta
2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 links (7 ounces total) mild turkey sausage, casings removed
1 garlic clove, minced
2 jarred roasted red bell peppers, cut in ¼-inch strips
2 plum tomatoes, chopped
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes (optional)
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
Salt and freshly ground pepper
½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

In a large saucepan, bring the chicken broth and 3 cups of water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender, but still firm to the bit, stirring occasionally, 8 to 10 minutes.

While the pasta is cooking, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the turkey sausage and sauté until cooked through, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the bell peppers, tomatoes and red pepper flakes (if using) to the pan and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes.

Drain the pasta, reserving about ½ cup of the cooking liquid, and transfer it to a large serving bowl. Add the sausage mixture, 1 Tbsp. of the parsley and salt and pepper to taste. Toss well to combine, adding the reserved cooking liquid if needed to loosen the pasta. Top with the Parmesan and sprinkle with the remaining parsley.

No comments:

Post a Comment