Thursday, September 23, 2010

Have No Fear


Garlic bread is of course a classic, but the Jersey Girl decided to shake it up one night with Giada’s Cheese Crostini with Anchovy Herb Butter.

The crostini were super fly, but it’s not like they’re replacing my mac daddy garlic bread anytime soon.

Nonetheless, I do recommend the recipe, especially if you have anchovy and lemons lying about begging you to be used for something.

For those paranoid about eating anchovies, well, I’m sorry. You do cook the anchovies, so that eliminates some of the strong anchoviness flavor that many despise. But, in all honesty when you bite into the crunchy, glistening final product, you do taste anchovy. So, I urge you to get over your fear and just give it a whirl.

I used parmigiano reggiano instead of provolone because that’s what I had that day. If you don't groove on spiciness, you may want to cut down on the red pepper flakes.

Cheese Crostini with Anchovy Herb Butter
By Giada De Laurentiis


1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter

4 anchovy fillets, drained, chopped
1 to 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon minced lemon zest
1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper flakes
12 (2 by 1/3-inch thick) slices rustic crusty white bread
1 cup grated Provolone
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.


Melt the butter in a heavy small skillet over medium heat. Add the anchovies and stir until they dissolve, about 3 minutes. Stir in the herbs, garlic, lemon zest, and crushed red pepper.

Arrange the bread slices on a large baking sheet. Brush with the anchovy mixture. Sprinkle with the cheese. Bake until the cheese melts and the bread is golden, about 10 minutes. Cut the bread slices in halves and serve.




 

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to stop to work so I can have time to cook like you!
    How are you doing? When is the due date?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey OOTD,

    I'm due Nov. 8, so five more weeks.

    I'm feeling great. I just don't sleep so well. I'm actually working right up to the week before my due date. I work from home teaching piano, so it's a pretty relaxing gig.

    Hope you are feeling good!

    ReplyDelete