Monday, March 15, 2010

Actin' a Fool

Shopping on the Internets after a night of boozing?

Probably not such a grand idea.

But, the Jersey Girl thought it was an AWESOME thing to do a few years ago while visiting my sis Monica and b-i-l Jason down in Alexandria, Va.

Along with The Husband, we had just gone out for some good eats and major wine consumption, when talk turned to cookbooks. “The Silver Spoon” had recently been translated to anglaise, and as a collector of all things books and cooking, I knew this bazillion-pager was my soulmate. According to many published reports, “The Silver Spoon” is a super duper popular cookbook in the motherland a.k.a. Italy. It is also the self-proclaimed “bible of authentic Italian cooking.”

Yes, please.

I had spent the previous day perusing my sister’s copy from cover-to-cover and took to the book this same delightful evening of inebriation.

Not surprisingly, my next course of action was hijacking the laptop and placing an order on Amazon.

I was thrilled to see the book was a fab price – it was like 25 smackaroos.

But here’s the catch: Thanks to shaky fingers, blurred vision, mindless chitchat and a nightcap, no doubt, The Jersey Girl clicked “Overnight Super Expensive Really Majorly Concorde Fast Shipping” rather than my usual “Super Saver Free Shipping Get It Sometime Next Week” box.

Superb, Susan. Good job!

So, yeah. The book totally beat us home. But traffic on I-95 from D.C. is killer, OK.

And it cost about $70 when all is said and done because I think I added a novel or something to my purchase to get the free shipping.

Oh, the irony.

The Husband razzes me about this fine moment to this day.

It happened like three years ago.

Despite my shopping gaffe, “The Silver Spoon” is fabu.

Here is a rockin’ asparagrass recipe from its many pages. Yes, I know it’s ASPARAGUS. But the Jersey Girl has her own lingo in her own little world.

The recipe rocks. I blanched the asparagus for just about 9 minutes, instead of the 15 as called for in the recipe. I don’t groove on mushy asparagrass. I also ixnayed the toothpicks. Waste of time. You don’t need them. And, I cut down on the butta. Plus, I melted the butter. God, as I’m writing this, I guess you could say I didn’t really follow “The Silver Spoon” recipe too well. Ooops.


Asparagus Rolls
From “The Silver Spoon”
Serves 4

2 ¼ pounds asparagus, spears trimmed
¼ cup butter, plus extra for greasing
3 ½ ounces prosciutto, sliced
Scant 1 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
Salt

Cook the asparagus in salted, boiling water for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease an ovenproof dish with butter. Drain the asparagus and gently pat dry. Spread out the prosciutto on the counter, lay two large or three small asparagus spears on each slice, roll up and fasten each roulade with a toothpick. Place the rolls in the prepared dish. Sprinkle with Parmesan, dot with butter and bake for 10 minutes. Serve immediately.

Please note: The Jersey Girl blanched the asparagus for 9 minutes, did not use toothpicks, and used just 2 Tbsp. of butter, rather than ¼ cup.

No comments:

Post a Comment