Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Mission Not Really Accomplished


Repeat after me:

I will eat my vegetables.

I will eat my vegetables.

I will eat my vegetables.

My go with hypnosis has not brought about any desired success when trying to convince Baby Evan that yumminess can be found within his carrots, spinach and broccoli.

So, it’s time for a covert operation: Zucchini Pancakes.

Yes, a zucchini pancake has the appearance of a golden buttery griddled masterpiece of deliciousness, but best of all within its secret confines are shreds of (drumroll please) zucchini.

The recipe I used is the Barefoot Contessa’s. I added ¼ cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese to the zucchini mixture because the comments on the Food Network Web site indicated that the pancakes are bland. Eek. I didn’t think the dish was lacking in flavor, per se, but I do think the pancakes would be a fab vehicle for a goat cheese or sour cream topping of sorts. I actually thought smoked salmon would taste good on them. Is that weird?

The recipe advises you to shred the zucchini with a hand grater. But isn’t this the sort of thing for which a food processor with grating attachment was intended?

Hell, yes.

My zucchini was grated in 20 seconds flat.

I mixed the strands of summery green zucchini with the other ingredients using my bare hands. I thought that would be easier to do than messing with a utensil.

My mixture did get a little watery by the time I cooked the pancakes on my griddle due to the fact that I was doing about five things at the same time. Story of my life. Just drain the extra water out of the bowl. And add another tablespoon or so of flour.

I cooked mine on a griddle rather than a saute pan. That way I could get it all done in one batch. 

These were a hit with The Jersey Girl and Mister Jersey Girl aka The Husband.

As for Baby Evan –  His pancake hit the floor with the quickness. Good thing my experience as a journalist and a musician has prepped me for constant rejection.

Well, at least the Babes is thriving on blueberries, strawberries and bananas. And applesauce. Sometimes. Honestly, my greatest accomplishment this week is that he’s happily eaten raw red bell pepper strips two days in a row. Woo-hoo!



Zucchini Pancakes
From “Barefoot Contessa at Home”
By Ina Garten

2 medium zucchini (about 3/4 pound)
2 tablespoons grated red onion
2 extra-large eggs, lightly beaten
6 to 8 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Unsalted butter and vegetable oil


Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.


Grate the zucchini into a bowl using the large grating side of a box grater. Immediately stir in the onion and eggs. Stir in 6 tablespoons of the flour, the baking powder, salt, and pepper. (If the batter gets too thin from the liquid in the zucchini, add the remaining 2 tablespoons of flour.)
Heat a large (10 to 12-inch) saute pan over medium heat and melt 1/2 tablespoon butter and 1/2 tablespoon oil together in the pan. When the butter is hot but not smoking, lower the heat to medium-low and drop heaping soup spoons of batter into the pan. Cook the pancakes about 2 minutes on each side, until browned. Place the pancakes on a sheet pan and keep warm in the oven. Wipe out the pan with a dry paper towel, add more butter and oil to the pan, and continue to fry the pancakes until all the batter is used. The pancakes can stay warm in the oven for up to 30 minutes. Serve hot.
Please note: The Jersey Girl added ¼ cup of grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese to the zucchini mixture.

No comments:

Post a Comment