Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Peach Cobbler Cookies

A weird thing has occurred: I've lost my sweet tooth. Oh, the irony. A baker who eats one bite of dessert.

It's true, dear readers. As I've grown up, my desire for sugar has diminished. Good for the waist line, and even better for my friends and family who get all of my baked goods for themselves.

So, these Peach Cobbler Cookies are wonderful for peeps like me: Those who like a taste of something sweet, but you don't need a gigantic slice of pie or a three-scoop sundae. Just one cookie, and all is good in the hood. I especially feel this way in the summer. When it's 90-plus degrees, I really do not eat a ton.

These cookies are fabulous. The brown sugar and spices and such a nice background to the sweet peaches. They go wonderfully with a cup of coffee or a glass of wine.

Please check out my instructions on peeling peaches for the recipe listed directly below the cookie recipe.

I omitted the almond extract called for in the recipe because I am allergic. I also chopped my peaches on the small side so that they were evenly distributed throughout the batch. The recipe listed the yield is 4 1/2 dozen, but my batch made about 4 dozen. I baked my cookies on two cookie sheets at a time for exactly 16 minutes, flipping the sheets half way from top to bottom and bottom to top. These are especially wonderful warm, and they hold up very well for several days in an air-tight container.



Peach Cobbler Cookies
Makes: About 4 1/2 dozen
From "Taste of Home: Simple and Delicious"

1 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 large egg, room temperature
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. almond extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. cream of tartar
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 cup chopped peeled fresh peaches

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.

Beat in egg and extracts. In another bowl, whisk flour, cinnamon, cream of tartar, baking soda, salt and nutmeg; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Stir in peaches.





Drop cookie dough by tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto parchment-lined baking sheets.



Bake until cookies are set, 14-16 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool. Store in airtight container.



Please note: The Jersey Girl omitted almond extract due to a food allergy.


How to Peel a Peach
1. Bring a pot of water to a roiling boil.
2. With a slotted spoon, drop in your peaches gently.
3. Cook in the rapidly boiling water for 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Remove with slotted spoon and drop into a bowl of ice water.
5. When cool enough to handle, peel the skin off with your finger tips.
6. Pit the peach by splitting it open if you can. Remove the pit with your fingers or a spoon.


No comments:

Post a Comment