Monday, August 26, 2019

Fakeout Takeout: Crab Rangoon Wonton Cups

We do love a Chinese takeout night as much as the next guy, but I find it super fun to make Chinese food at home.

These Crab Rangoon Wonton Cups were a total hit. I would make them again for a party or for our next stirfry night at home.


Now I am in no way an expert in Asian cuisine. I consider myself a dabbler. And, I'm not quite sure how authentic crab Rangoon is. But I do know this version we made recently at home is totally delish, and it's baked. Yay! I try to avoid fried foods as much as possible.

Wonton wrappers can be found in the refrigerated Asian section of your grocery store. I found my package hanging around the tofu and whatnot.

Due to my lifelong food allergies to nuts, peanuts, avocado and various other ingredients, making Chinese food at home is much more peaceful for me mentally than going out to a Chinese restaurant where the potential for cross contamination is possible.

This was fun to make. My son helped me place the wonton wrappers in a standard muffin tin. And he also was the taste tester as shown here:


I did buy a bottle of dipping sauce for the wonton cups but these were so delish on the own they really needed zero accoutrement.

Crab Rangoon Wonton Cups
Makes 12
From www.lemontreedwelling.com

12 wonton wrappers 
12 oz. cream cheese, softened 
1/4 cup sour cream 
4 oz. imitation crab, *substitute 1 can lump crab, drained 
2 green onions, thinly sliced 
1/4 tsp. worcestershire sauce 
1/4 tsp. soy sauce 

Preheat oven to 350°.

Spray muffin pan with cooking spray.

Place one wonton wrapper in each muffin cup; bake 10 minutes or until edges begin to brown.



Remove from oven and cool slightly.

In a medium mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, sour cream, 1 sliced green onion, worcestershire sauce, and soy sauce. Stir well.


Place crab in a small food processor and process until finely chopped. Stir chopped crab into cream cheese mixture.

Spoon filling into baked wonton shells; bake for an additional 8-12 minutes.



Top with sliced green onions. Serve with sweet and sour sauce or sweet chili sauce as desired.

Please note: The Jersey Girl used 8 ounces of cream cheese instead of 12. She also used lump crab meat and not imitation.


No comments:

Post a Comment