Sunday, November 10, 2019

Thankful for the Memories

Thanksgiving is all about tradition. Especially with the food.

That's why my Mommom Sacco's amazing string beans are always on my Thanksgiving table. This dish requires very few ingredients. Beans, a small potato, garlic and oil and voila - magic happens.

That's really how it was with everything my Mommom cooked and baked. And that's one of the reasons I love her recipes so much.

Hope you love this one, too. It's wayyyyy better than the whole string bean casserole nonsense.

I'm so thankful for all the amazing recipes my grandmother taught me. They bring her back to life each time I make them. We love you, Mommom!




Mommom Sacco and me at her last Thanksgiving in 2015. 

Mommom Sacco's String Beans
Makes 10-14 servings

1 1/2 to 2 lbs. string beans, washed, trimmed and cut in half
1 small baking potato, peeled and quartered
5 cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 cup olive oil
Salt and pepper.


In a large pot filled with cold water, add prepared string beans and quartered potato. Place on stove top. Bring to a boil. Partially cover pot with lid, and boil for 20 minutes or until the potato is tender and falling apart.

Carefully drain the beans and potato in a colander over the sink.


Return pot to stovetop. Add oil and garlic. Cook garlic over low heat. Do not burn!

Add drained string beans and potato to the pot. Season with salt and pepper. Toss the beans and potato in the garlic oil. Using a fork carefully mash up the potato. Toss again. Taste for seasonings.

Dish may be made the day before and reheated before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment