Monday, April 13, 2020

Ham Soup with White Beans and Barley

Easter is over. So now what to do with all that leftover ham?

I give mine a healthy boost by turning it into a soup featuring cannellini beans and barley. These two ingredients pack in the protein and fiber. It's like your ham is getting a smack down by fitness foods. Yay! This soup comes together in less than an hour, and I'm planning to freeze half of it (without the barley) to eat later on this year because there is only so much ham I can take.




You certainly could make this with red kidney beans if that's what you have. I hold off on my usual salt in this. Truth be told, I don't use a ton of salt in anything. Ham is salty by nature, so I do not use salt to season the veggies since I saute the ham with the veggies and I feel like that's enough. I add a pinch of salt after I pour in the broth.

Here's the recipe:

Ham Soup with White Beans and Barley
Makes 10 servings

1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 cups leftover ham, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1 can (14.5 can) low sodium diced tomatoes (I like Hunt's)
1 19 ounce can Cento cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
4 cups low sodium chicken broth
2 cups water
A pinch of salt
Pepper to taste
3/4 cup dried barley
2 Tbsp. fresh flat leaf parsley
Serve with grated parmigianno

In a large soup pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add carrots, celery and onion. Saute for 5-7 minutes until slightly softened. Add garlic, bay leaves and thyme. Season with pepper. Give a good stir. Cook for two minutes. Add ham. Cook for five minutes. Stirring occasionally.






Add tomatoes, beans, broth and water. Bring to a boil. Season with a pinch of salt. Simmer for 30-35 minutes until veggies are tender. Adjust seasonings if necessary.




Meanwhile, in a small pot add dry barley. Cover with cold water and 1/4 tsp. salt. Bring to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, lower heat to medium high. Simmer for 30-40 minutes or until barley is cooked and tender. Drain barley.







Once soup is finished, add drained barley and parsley into soup pot. Stir.

Serve with parmigianno cheese, if desired.



No comments:

Post a Comment