Sunday, August 9, 2020

Tomato Sangwich 101

 I feel a bit ridiculous writing a recipe for the Tomato Sangwich. (Some people really truly call a sandwich a sangwich here in my parts. I can't tell you why. But it makes me laugh and I love it, so Sangwich stands.) But I realized that perhaps a classic Tomato Sangwich may be a total regional thing to my parts of South Jersey, and I should type this up as a public service to all of you who have not yet experienced the simple magic of a Tomato Sangwich. It truly is a standout of summer cuisine. 


Now my recipe below is literally just how I personally love it. 

I can recall my Poppop rocking a tomato sangwich out while whistling some tunes back in the day with just literally mayo, tomato, a pinch of salt on your totally standard sliced sandwich bread like Wonder or Stroehmann's. But see, the Jersey Girl is 100 percent a food snob, and sliced sandwich bread does not step foot into my cupboards. (Sorry, Poppop, and all y'all who love sliced sandwich bread.) You can of course make it on that, and the result is quite delish as the sandwich bread becomes all squishy and enveloped in the intoxicating juiciness of the Jersey tomato. But, yours truly prefers the amazing crustiness of a Kaiser roll. Why, you ask? The superior bread stands up to the simple contents of this sandwich. And it is the perfect vessel to hold the cheese, tomato, basil, mayo and seasoning. The bread softens, but not still too much. You still got the crust, you see? And because of that solid crust, it doesn't make a total mess. Although, don't expect to eat this all prim and proper unless you knife and fork it, which honestly I wouldn't. I would just chomp right in. 

For best results, let the sangwich hang out so that all the flavors mold together. Whatever you do, don't refrigerate the glorious tomato sangwich. I am known to chill my sangwich in a cooler until I am ready to unwrap into its glorious contents while poolside.

Happy summer!


Tomato Sangwich/Sandwich

Serves 1

1 crusty Kaiser roll, sliced in half

2 slices of favorite cheese such as provolone, pepper jack or American

1 medium fresh tomato, sliced 1/4-inch thick

5-6 fresh basil leaves

1 Tbsp. mayonnaise

Black pepper and salt to taste

Spread mayonnaise with a butter knife evenly onto the cut side of each roll half. Sprinkle evenly with black pepper.

Layer cheese slices onto one roll half. Evenly place tomato slices on top of cheese slices. Lightly season with salt. Evenly place basil leaves on top. Place other roll half onto the prepared roll half. Cut in half. For best results, let sandwich hang out for about 10 minutes before eating. 

No comments:

Post a Comment