Sunday, January 3, 2021

Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup

 Colorful. Flavorful. And Freezable.

Three words I love in soup.


I found this Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup on the Pinterest. It is soooooo easy, and it's a healthy dish that is filling and full of veggies. 

The prep couldn't be easier. Just place ingredients in the crockpot and stir. Then shred the chicken before cooking for another thirty minutes. The recipe gives instructions for cooking on the low setting for 6 hours. I did it on the high setting for 4 hours, and it worked perfectly. If you want this to be more child friendly, you could use just plain chopped tomatoes to cut down on the spice factor. I used a nice fire-roasted. I also added a green bell pepper because I had one, and the more vedge the merrier in my opinion. 

Serve over rice, if you'd like. Top with cilantro, shredded cheese, sour cream and tortilla chips or strips. Avocado would be fab too, but I don't groove on that due to my food allergies. But you do you!

Sooo delish.

The recipe made a ton, so I froze a batch for later on in the winter. Yay for preparation!




Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup

From Kitchen Fun with My Three Sons

Makes 12 servings

3 chicken boneless skinless chicken breasts

1 packet fajita seasoning

1 medium onion, chopped

2 cans chopped tomatoes with chilies

1 can black beans, rinsed

1 can corn, drained

1 red bell pepper, chopped

4 cups chicken broth

1 bay leaf

1 Tbsp., chopped cilantro for garnish

1 cup tortilla strips, for garnish

Serve with: Shredded cheese, avocado, sour cream

Add chicken, onion, chopped tomatoes, black beans, corn, bell pepper, broth, bay leaf and fajita seasoning to the slow cooker. Mix with a spoon.

Cook on low for 6 hours. Shred chicken. Cook an additional 20 minutes.

Serve with cilantro, tortilla chips or your favorite toppings like sour cream, avocado or shredded cheese.

Please note: The Jersey Girl uses low-salt chicken broth. She added a green bell pepper and used fire-roasted tomatoes. She cooked this dish on high for 4 hours. After shredding the chicken, she added chopped cilantro and cooked on low for thirty minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment