Thursday, February 25, 2021

Carrot, Broccoli and Cheese Orzo

I'm literally the only human in this house who grooves on broccoli, so I cook it in ways that I love. I do try to offer it up to The Husband and The Son, but as of today it always gets the shaft.

Their loss.

This Carrot, Broccoli and Cheese Orzo recipe that I discovered on Pinterest is really very delish, and it is perfect for little ones who actually do dig a broccoli spear or two. 


It's a very comforting bowl of yum when it's chilly willy out, which it is right now in the doldrums of February. 

The recipe calls for whole wheat orzo. I just used regular orzo. In addition, I sprinkled with shredded cheddar instead of Parmesan because I just love how cheddar and broccoli work so well together. In lieu of baby carrots I used a regular carrot because I do not do baby carrots. I peeled it, natch.

I hope you love this dish as much as I do.




Carrot, Broccoli and Cheese Orzo

From www.weelicious.com

Makes 4 servings

1 small garlic clove

1 small shallot

1 cup baby carrots

1 cup broccoli florets

2 Tbsp. unsalted butter or olive oil

1 cup white or whole wheat orzo

1/2 tsp. kosher salt

1 cup water

1 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth

1/3 cup parmesan cheese, grated

Place shallot and garlic in food processor and pulse to chop.

Add baby carrots and broccoli florets to the food processor and pulse, scraping down the sides half way until finely chopped.

In a large stock pot, heat 2 Tbsp. butter or olive oil and saute the chopped vegetables, raw orzo and a pinch salt for 4 minutes, stirring continuously.

Add the salt, water and broth to the pot and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes uncovered or until the liquid starts to evaporate and the mixture thickens.

Add the Parmesan cheese and stir to combine.


Please note: The Jersey Girl used white orzo, 1 medium peeled carrot in lieu of baby carrots, and shredded cheddar cheese instead of Parmesan. She also uses low-sodium broth.


No comments:

Post a Comment