Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Zucchini Blossom Pasta

I always ooh and ahh at zucchini blossoms in cookbooks and on Pinterest. But in reality, I NEVER get my hands on any. They are too delicate/perishable to sell in markets and I do not grow my own zucchs.

But alas, I do live in a land of farmers and my friend Jaime hooked me up with a bunch. Happy face!

Now, traditionally zucchini blossoms are stuffed and dipped in a light batter and fried. But I wanted to cook these in a lighter way so I did this beautiful pasta. I'm calling it Zucchini Blossom Pasta. It is inspired by a recipe I read on The Tuscan Gun on Facebook, but I add my own Jersey Girl touches to the dish. Of course! The dish features a couple of zucchini, and onion and basil. A ricotta cream infused with lemon zest and red pepper flakes tops it off. 

I love the simplicity of this dish. Try to use the zucchini blossoms as soon as you can. Keep them in a cool place, but don't refrigerate unless you absolutely must! Soak in cold water about 20 minutes before using.

I served with Lidia's Chicken Rolls in Lemon Broth. For that recipe, click here. So good!

My family really enjoyed this. I hope yours does, too!

















Zucchini Blossom Pasta

Makes 4 side dish portions

 2 medium zucchini, chopped

1 medium onion, chopped

12 zucchini blossoms (rinsed and separated by petals right before adding to the pan with the zucchini and onion)

1/2 pound short cut pasta

Olive oil

1 cup fresh ricotta,

zest of 1 lemon

1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes

Salt and pepper to taste

Fresh basil, shredded

Grated Parmiggiano Reggiano, to serve

In a small bowl, combine ricotta, lemon zest, 2 tsp. olive oil and salt and pepper. Set aside

Cook pasta in a pot of boiling salted water until al dente.

Meanwhile, in a pan over medium heat, add olive oil, chopped zucchini and chopped onion. Saute for 5 minutes until zucchini is lightly browned and onions are softened. Season with salt and pepper.

Once pasta is cooked, transfer to the pan with the cooked zucchini and onions with a slotted spoon. Add two or three ladles of pasta water. Add zucchini blossoms. Gently toss. Turn off heat. Drizzle with olive oil. Add more salt and pepper if desided. Top with fresh basil.

To serve: Plate pasta with a drizzle of olive oil, a dollop of ricotta and a sprinkle of Parmiggaino Reggiano, if desired. 



No comments:

Post a Comment