Tuesday, July 6, 2021

Mushroom and Broccoli Stir Fry for Lunch

 I gave up lunch meat for Lent in 2020, which means I gave it up forevs. Pretty much. If I'm at a party and the food is a bunch of hoagies, I mean I'm going to eat one.

But for the most part, this little lady is free of processed meats. As a result, I need to get creative when I'm coming up with lunches.

My Mushroom Broccoli Stir Fry is ready in less than 15 minutes. I bought those pouches of brown rice that you just nuke in the microwave for 90 seconds. So easy.  If you don't buy your mushrooms pre-sliced, that will add some minutes to your prep, of course.

This stir fry was very filling for me, and I love the taste of it all. You totally could add chicken or beef to up the protein factor and/or if grooving as a vegetarian ain't your thang.

The quantities below made me two lunches. This lunch made me super happy.





Mushroom Broccoli Stir Fry

Makes 2 lunch servings

1 Tbsp. canola oil

Button mushrooms, sliced, 8 ounces

2 cups broccoli florets, cut into bite-sized pieces

1 medium onion, sliced

2 garlic cloves, minced

1 cup vegetable broth, heated in microwave a microwave-safe liquid measuring cup or bowl

2 tsp. cornstarch

2 tsp. Chinese 5 spice seasoning

1 Tbsp. soy sauce

Ground black pepper to taste

Serve with brown rice, soy sauce and sirachi if desired

Add canola or clear oil to a wok or a large pan with sides over high heat. Once the oil ripples, add mushrooms and onions, stirring frequently for about 4-5 minutes. Add garlic. Cook for a minute. Add broccoli, keep stirring. Add 5-spice seasoning, black pepper and soy sauce. Cook for another 4-5 minutes. 



Whisk cornstarch into warmed vegetable broth. Add to wok. Stir some more, Let mixture come to a boil. Cover with a lid and lower heat to medium. Cook for another 5 minutes.

Serve with brown rice and more soy sauce or sirachi if you like a little kick! Portions may be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. 


No comments:

Post a Comment