Saturday, September 26, 2020

Deep Dish Pizza

The Husband went to grad school in Chicago so he has a thing for deep dish pizza. I was excited to try this recipe from Lidia Bastianich to make one right at home here in Jersey. While I'm not 100 percent sure it is as authentic as the real thing in the Windy City, The Husband and The Son overwhelmingly approved of my pizza. Yay!


I omitted the pepperoni listed in the ingredients, as both of my cohabitants requested it to be meat free. I think bell peppers and mushrooms would be a fab topping, or I guess filling, too. But I just went with the sauces and the cheeses for the first go-around. When I make it again, I will get experimental.

I used a baking dish since my cast-iron skillet is only 10 inches. 

The dough was so much fun to make. This was so crunchy and delish. I definitely recommend making it as the nights get cooler. I initially made this a few months ago during the Covid lockdown. Now that chillier weather is on its way, I thought now was a good time to share.

While you of course can use a jar or your fave marinara or pizza sauce, I am providing a link to my marinara sauce here and my pizza sauce here. Super delish and you can freeze both!






Chicago Deep-Dish Pizza

From "Lidia's Italy in America"

By Lidia Bastianich

Makes 1 pizza

For the dough:

1/2 tsp. sugar

1 packet instant dry yeast (2 1/4 tsp.)

3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for kneading the dough

1/2 cup fine cornmeal

1/2 tsp. kosher salt

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for bowl and pan

For the topping:

4 ounces provolone, sliced

4 ounces mozzarella, sliced

1 to 1 1/2 cups marinara sauce

2 ounces pepperoni, sliced

1/2 cup grated Grana Padano or Parmigiano-Reggiano

1/2 tsp. dried oregano


To make the dough:

Pour 1 cup plus 3 Tbsp. warm (90 to 110 degrees F) water into a bowl, then stir in the sugar and the yeast. Let sit until the yeast begins to bubble, about 5 minutes.

In an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix the flour, cornmeal, and salt on low to combine. Pour in the yeast mixture and the olive oil to combine while still mixing. Once the dough comes together, switch to the dough hook, and knead on medium-high speed to make a smooth dough, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add a little more water or flour as needed to make a soft dough. Put the dough in an oiled bowl, cover and let rise until doubled in size, from 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours.








Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Punch down the dough, and press into a 14-by-10-inch oiled baking pan or an oiled 12-inch cast iron skillet, gently pressing the dough up the sides to make a shell. Fill the shell with an even layer of the provolone and mozzarella, then spread the sauce to cover the cheese completely. Top with the pepperoni, and sprinkle with the grated cheese and oregano. Cover with foil and bake 45 minutes. Then uncover and bake until the crust is deep golden brown and pizza is bubbly, about 20 minutes more. Let sit about 5 to 10 minutes before cutting into wedges and serving. 










No comments:

Post a Comment