Monday, September 7, 2020

Tomato's Last Hurrah

This is one of my fave recipes of the summer: Heirloom Tomatoes with Herbed Ricotta. I'm getting it in under the wire. Tomatoes are still pretty rocking in September, so if you get your hands on some good ones, please make this.

This is perfect for everything: Breakfast, lunch or a light dinner. I will admit, I replaced the dill with my basil as dill was one of my gardening fails of 2020. You win some; you lose some. 

I did not make homemade ricotta. Just a container of Maggio and all was good in the hood. 

This is a Barefoot Contessa recipe. She calls for heirloom tomatoes, which I'm sure are available at every schi schi market along the coast and quant streets of the high-falutin Hamptons, where she resides. But I made this dish with the good ole' Jersey tomato from my fave farmer's market in South Jersey. There's nothing fancy about it, but the taste is aces.

I enjoyed my tomatoes and ricotta on a slice of toasted Italian bread. It was fantastico.





Heirloom Tomatoes with Herbed Ricotta

Serves 6

From "Cook Like a Pro" by Ina Garten

2 cups fresh ricotta, preferably homemade

3 Tbsp. minced scallions, white and green parts (2 scallions)

2 Tbsp. minced fresh dill

1 Tbsp. minced fresh chives

Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper

2 pints assorted heirloom tomatoes

1 tsp. minced garlic

1 Tbsp. good olive oil, plus more for drizzling

1/2 cup julienned fresh basil leaves, plus extra for garnish

Fleur de sel

In a medium bowl, combine the ricotta, scallions, dill, chives, 1 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper and set aside for up to 30 minutes.



With a small serrated knife, cut the larger tomatoes in wedges through the stem and the smaller tomatoes in half through the stem. Place them in a medium bowl with the garlic, olive oil, 1 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper and set aside.

When ready to serve, add the basil to the tomatoes and combine. Pile the ricotta in a large (12-inch) round shallow bowl or oval platter. Using a slotted spoon, place the tomatoes around the ricotta, discarding any liquid. Drizzle the tomatoes and ricotta with olive oil, sprinkle with the reserved basil and fleur de sel, and serve at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment